Scenario is a dynamic architectural company based in London. Our highly skilled team specialises in residential design, refurbishing period homes and building anew. We work closely with all our clients to create functional, contemporary living spaces for the 21st century.
We launched Scenario in 2007 with a vision to tell stories through architecture. We design to the specific needs and ambitions of our clients, so the results speak to them and grow with them.
We respect the historical details, structural integrity and surrounding landscape of every home we design. As a result, each Scenario project is unique to the client and their place in the world.
Our landmark project Scenario House showcases our flair for recasting period architecture in a modern context. Located in East London, it was widely covered by the media and shortlisted for several prestigious prizes, including the 2018 RIBA London Award.
Discover if your architect has had success steering planning applications through your local council. Visit the “planning applications” page of your council’s website and enter the architect’s name in the search criteria.
Scenario is an established architecture practice focusing on contemporary residential design. We take on projects of every scale and scope, from home refurbishment, renovation and expansions to new-builds.
Working with Scenario Architecture
Through our bespoke architecture service we tackle domestic projects of every scale and complexity. We collaborate with our clients throughout every stage of the design process, from initial drawings, through local planning, tender and construction.
As a RIBA Chartered Practice, Scenario complies with the strict health and safety criteria of the Royal Institute of Chartered Architects. Our architects use innovative 3D design and real-time visualisation tools to choose finishes, fixtures and fittings and simulate natural light. We produce reliable construction information using 3D building information modelling (BIM) technology, saving our clients time and money.
In our client's words
Great ideas and vision to help with our substantial improvement of a Victorian terrace. In our experience Scenario's method prioritises the final result. That may mean more professional fees or higher quotes from contractors, as they understand the exact requirements.
Great, professional service. Good drawings and models and ultimately passed planning at the first attempt with Hackney Council. Would certainly recommend!
Scenario Architecture have created an outstanding design and space that was beyond my expectations. The design was through their unique process of understanding the client’s daily scenarios and collaborating with the client to come up with a unique design. The design process is one of the most memorable parts of the process and they also stretched my existing ideas to help create this unique space. A stress free journey throughout the whole process which Scenario were indispensable by giving advice on many difficult design and build decisions.
We wanted to renovate our house in a conservation area in central London. Given this involved a complete demolition and new build with an extra floor on top, getting planning approval was always going to be tricky. Scenario did an amazing job on the new house 'envelope' and throughout the planning phase. We couldn't have wished for better from them and having succeeded in gaining planning approval owe them a very big 'thank you'.
Scenario were great at thinking imaginatively and coming up with a design for a ground floor extension that was more ambitous than other architects we spoke to. They also helped us find a contractor who was able to complete the project working within timescale and our tight budget. I would recommend for mid to large sized projects with sufficient budget to allow for full utilisation of their creativity.
Finding a property you love in London is a challenge. But completing the deal and exchanging the keys don’t mean the process is over. Most London homes have decades, if not centuries, of baggage, and owning one comes with a fair set of constraints, whether you’re planning to renovate, extend, convert or build anew. Urban settings are rife with physical limitations – on top of which you could find yourself in a conservation area. Listed buildings require mountains of paperwork to alter, if you can alter them at all. Buy in a green belt, and you’ll have to respect landscapes, slight lines and your natural surrounds.
As an architecture company in London, we can help unlock the potential of your chosen home and its site. Despite the restrictions inherent in London architecture, we can transform your new home with outside-the-box design and strategic planning. Our proven record with period homes across London and beyond ensures a smooth and satisfying process for everyone involved.
Connections with neighbourhood planners and fluency with local protocols have steered our creative design, forcing us to reimagine every space respectfully and sympathetically to the environment. Our homes make use of every conceivable nook and cranny, push boundaries to the limits and evolve with our clients’ changing lifestyles. We find space for our clients in lofts, basements, side returns and conservatories in order to breathe new life into old bones.
Scenario’s dynamic team works closely with our clients and with one another to find inspired solutions to the challenges facing us today. We incorporate smart-home solutions, home-office capabilities, space for exercise and winding down into our floor plans. And every element is considered for its sustainability.
Above all, we offer a range of finishes and fittings that can make a period home seem as fresh as a new-build. We want our clients to wake up every morning wishing to be nowhere else but home.
Frequently Asked Questions
- As a dynamic practice operating in London’s premium residential market, managing projects remotely and conducting virtual meetings was a very familiar territory for us, long before the pandemic began and ‘working remotely’ became the norm.
- Our clients have very busy lifestyles and may move between several different locations, both within the UK and beyond, during the lifecycle of a typical project.
- To accommodate such client needs and enable us to run their projects smoothly we had all the technology and know-how associated with remote working in place for several years.
- Read our full (Virtual) Process
- Scenario based design – We start each and every project with a meticulous analysis of our client’s vision, requirements and aspirations. We do this by asking our clients to imagine their everyday scenarios living in the completed house and describe their desired interaction with it.
- Uniquely interactive - Our client’s deep involvement in the process does not stop with completion of the brief. Our design meetings are highly interactive, informal and fun.
- Designed to reflect you – Based purely on your lifestyle, aspirations and requirements and free from externally imposed concepts, metaphors and pre-conceptions, a completely fresh and unique design will gradually emerge and it will tell your story not ours.
- Collaborative – We start the conversation with planners early and advise most of our clients to seek pre-planning advice prior to submission of a full planning application. Our experience shows that when properly consulted and liaised with, most planning case officers will be receptive to conduct a professional dialogue, increasing chances of successes.
- Strategic – We tailor a custom planning strategy for each project based on its circumstances such as planning history, local context and specific challenging elements. We sometimes split applications or introduce minor tweaks to the scheme during the consideration period in conversation with the officers to prevent one contentious element from jeopardising approval of the main scheme.
- Professional – Our experience shows that the quality and clarity of the submission in terms of background research, planning history of the property and context, precedent and of course the arguments presented to support the case has a tremendous effect on success rate.
- The decision period clock only starts ticking once the application is validated by the Council, This requires then to check that the forms are completed correctly and that the submission contains all the necessary drawings, statements and reports.
- Although required by law to provide a decision within the statutory eight weeks period, it is not uncommon for councils to miss the deadline of the consideration period, normally only by a few days, sometimes longer.
- In some cases the council may ask us as your agent for an extension of time, this may be requested due to internal reasons or as an acceptable result of a professional discussion that we are conducting with them about certain aspects of the application that they are not sure about.
- Our experience shows that planning officers respond better to projects when they feel consulted and collaborated with. We find that when we truly listen to their often helpful and valid feedback and treat them as consultants for the projects and not representative of an evil enforcing authority, they tend to collaborate well with us and demonstrate increased flexibility.
- Although the council in theory have eight weeks to consider your application, in practice they are constantly overloaded. They will only look at your application in the last few days of the consideration period. If this is the first time that they come across a scheme that they were never consulted about, our chance to secure permission for you in a single attempt is significantly compromised.
- The standard practice is for the council to consider the full planning application as submitted and then issue a yes or no decision. Case officers are not required or even encouraged to enter a discussion with us or accept resubmission of minor changes to the proposed scheme during the consideration period.