Life in the 21st century is becoming more focused on the home. As technology improves and we spend less time out and about, our homes must take on more functions than ever. Convenience is key, and luxuries like home gyms have become standard in high-end architecture
We launched Scenario in 2007 with a vision to take Britain’s period architecture into the 21st century, adapting new ideas to old standards of living. We tailor all our spaces to the needs of the client, no matter how niche the desire. Thinking creatively, we can create a wine cellar, home gym or playroom even where space and budgets are tight.
Your Home Gym project
A highly functional contemporary home must be the product of a deep connection between architect and homeowner. Scenario’s tailor-made homes reflect their lifestyle, their stories, their dream.
Our long history working alongside planning departments across London, we can realise your vision and ours, at a price you can afford. Years of experience have made our boutique residential architecture practice one of the most coveted in the city.
Discover if your chosen architect has had success pushing planning applications through your local council. Visit the “planning applications” section of your council’s website and enter the architect’s name in the search criteria.
Scenario is an established architecture practice focusing on contemporary residential design. We take on projects of every scale and scope, from home refurbishment, renovation and expansions to new-builds.
Working with Scenario Architecture
Using the latest 3D design and visualisation technology to streamline the process, our building information modelling technology (BIM) produces reliable construction information and accurate data to save time and money. A Chartered Institute of Building case study, featuring one of our flagship projects, highlights the benefits of using advanced technology for modern house design.
A RIBA Chartered Practice, Scenario complies with essential criteria covering insurance, health and safety, and quality-management systems.
In our client's words
Great ideas and vision to help with our substantial improvement of a Victorian terrace. In our experience Scenario's method prioritises the final result. That may mean more professional fees or higher quotes from contractors, as they understand the exact requirements.
Great, professional service. Good drawings and models and ultimately passed planning at the first attempt with Hackney Council. Would certainly recommend!
Scenario Architecture have created an outstanding design and space that was beyond my expectations. The design was through their unique process of understanding the client’s daily scenarios and collaborating with the client to come up with a unique design. The design process is one of the most memorable parts of the process and they also stretched my existing ideas to help create this unique space. A stress free journey throughout the whole process which Scenario were indispensable by giving advice on many difficult design and build decisions.
We wanted to renovate our house in a conservation area in central London. Given this involved a complete demolition and new build with an extra floor on top, getting planning approval was always going to be tricky. Scenario did an amazing job on the new house 'envelope' and throughout the planning phase. We couldn't have wished for better from them and having succeeded in gaining planning approval owe them a very big 'thank you'.
Scenario were great at thinking imaginatively and coming up with a design for a ground floor extension that was more ambitous than other architects we spoke to. They also helped us find a contractor who was able to complete the project working within timescale and our tight budget. I would recommend for mid to large sized projects with sufficient budget to allow for full utilisation of their creativity.
Physical activity can help you lead a healthier, happier, life. People who take regular exercise have a lower risk of chronic conditions like heart disease, Type-2 diabetes, obesity and stroke. And research shows that physical activity can boost self-esteem, mood, sleep quality and energy, as well as reducing your risk of stress, depression, dementia and Alzheimer’s disease. Even as we know this is true, we, as a nation, are leading increasingly sedentary lifestyles. We work from home, and we work longer hours than we did before the smartphone existed. We drive, and we spend even our leisure time sitting in front of a computer. If we hope to follow our best intentions and exercise more, it’s clear we need our exercise to be more convenient. In that respect, installing a home gym can be a life-saver.
However, working out can be a loud, sweaty business that leaves destructive marks on our floors and furniture. So building a home-gym requires careful deliberation and forethought. How can we enjoy a tailor-made fitness experience by integrating a new zone into the existing floor plan that also sits smoothly with the rest of the home and doesn’t become a redundant, underused space?
The experienced team at Scenario can help you to design a bespoke home gym for your space, and guide you through every consideration to ensure you get a gym that works (out) for you. We understand the functional aspects of exercising at home – health, safety, durability and hygiene are a given in our designs. All our spaces benefit from natural ventilation, light and smart audio-visual technology to set the mood. But we also put great importance on aesthetics that are inspiring and motivating to encourage greater productivity. We integrate high-tech effects, mirrors, screens and sound systems with natural materials and pops of colour, giving your home gym that ideal balance between “home” and “gym”. And we appreciate the elements of a home gym that make exercise more fun, like built-in gymnast hoops, punching bags and pull-up bars, vertical gardens and climbing walls.
When considering a gym for your home, get design inspiration from interiors magazines and websites like Pinterest, Houzz and Instagram.
Frequently Asked Questions
- As a dynamic practice operating in London’s premium residential market, managing projects remotely and conducting virtual meetings was a very familiar territory for us, long before the pandemic began and ‘working remotely’ became the norm.
- Our clients have very busy lifestyles and may move between several different locations, both within the UK and beyond, during the lifecycle of a typical project.
- To accommodate such client needs and enable us to run their projects smoothly we had all the technology and know-how associated with remote working in place for several years.
- Read our full (Virtual) Process
- Scenario based design – We start each and every project with a meticulous analysis of our client’s vision, requirements and aspirations. We do this by asking our clients to imagine their everyday scenarios living in the completed house and describe their desired interaction with it.
- Uniquely interactive - Our client’s deep involvement in the process does not stop with completion of the brief. Our design meetings are highly interactive, informal and fun.
- Designed to reflect you – Based purely on your lifestyle, aspirations and requirements and free from externally imposed concepts, metaphors and pre-conceptions, a completely fresh and unique design will gradually emerge and it will tell your story not ours.
- Collaborative – We start the conversation with planners early and advise most of our clients to seek pre-planning advice prior to submission of a full planning application. Our experience shows that when properly consulted and liaised with, most planning case officers will be receptive to conduct a professional dialogue, increasing chances of successes.
- Strategic – We tailor a custom planning strategy for each project based on its circumstances such as planning history, local context and specific challenging elements. We sometimes split applications or introduce minor tweaks to the scheme during the consideration period in conversation with the officers to prevent one contentious element from jeopardising approval of the main scheme.
- Professional – Our experience shows that the quality and clarity of the submission in terms of background research, planning history of the property and context, precedent and of course the arguments presented to support the case has a tremendous effect on success rate.
- The decision period clock only starts ticking once the application is validated by the Council, This requires then to check that the forms are completed correctly and that the submission contains all the necessary drawings, statements and reports.
- Although required by law to provide a decision within the statutory eight weeks period, it is not uncommon for councils to miss the deadline of the consideration period, normally only by a few days, sometimes longer.
- In some cases the council may ask us as your agent for an extension of time, this may be requested due to internal reasons or as an acceptable result of a professional discussion that we are conducting with them about certain aspects of the application that they are not sure about.
- Our experience shows that planning officers respond better to projects when they feel consulted and collaborated with. We find that when we truly listen to their often helpful and valid feedback and treat them as consultants for the projects and not representative of an evil enforcing authority, they tend to collaborate well with us and demonstrate increased flexibility.
- Although the council in theory have eight weeks to consider your application, in practice they are constantly overloaded. They will only look at your application in the last few days of the consideration period. If this is the first time that they come across a scheme that they were never consulted about, our chance to secure permission for you in a single attempt is significantly compromised.
- The standard practice is for the council to consider the full planning application as submitted and then issue a yes or no decision. Case officers are not required or even encouraged to enter a discussion with us or accept resubmission of minor changes to the proposed scheme during the consideration period.