Scenario Architecture is open for business and running at full capacity.
- Work is progressing safely on all existing projects and additionally, we are in a position to take on a limited number of new projects.
- By working remotely we are able to coordinate and deliver all required information, effectively run virtual design meetings and even carry out site inspections.
- We encourage clients to progress towards submission of planning applications to avoid the backlogs which are building up in local councils.
- With every crisis comes an opportunity, contractors are keen to secure new projects and it is probably the best time in years to tender building works and achieve competitive prices.
- We ourselves have decided to proceed with our pre-corona plans to move a few doors down to a larger and newly designed space where we can continue to grow sustainably.
Scenario Architecture’s long-standing relationship with West Hampstead began with a direct referral from one of our first clients after launching our boutique residential architecture practice. Since then, we’ve proven ourselves with a string of successes across West Hampstead and established ourselves as local architects of choice.
That early recommendation came from clients in Highgate as they moved into their full house extension and renovation – our first such project. They recommended Scenario Architecture to friends embarking on an extensive home renovation and extension in the heart of West Hampstead.
More than a commercial opportunity, we saw this full renovation and extension as a chance to develop and refine our unique approach to residential architecture. Scenario puts its clients’ desires and ambitions central stage, as the main directors of the design process.
Practicing residential architecture across London for more than a decade, we’ve refined our client-led method, developing a deep understanding of the ways people engage with their home. Our process yields functional, tailor-made homes that tell the story of the owners, not the architects.
Your West Hampstead project
Starting your West Hampstead project
If you’re considering a residential architectural project in West Hampstead, we’re here to help, whether it’s a renovation, extension or new-build.
We’ve created a brief illustrated overview to help you understand each stage of the process, whether you’re planning a home extension, renovation or new-build in West Hampstead.
Most architecture projects in West Hampstead require planning permission from Camden Council. With our successful record securing planning permission from Camden Council on behalf of our clients, we can claim home advantage across Camden in general and West Hampstead in particular.
TipTo discover if your architect has had success steering planning applications through your local council, visit the Camden Council website, click on “Planning and Building Control”, go into the search engine for planning applications and type in your agent’s name.
AdviceWe have created guides for homeowners to provide additional advice and help with your project. The following eBooks are currently available for you to download:
1. Planning in London and the home counties - A guide for homeowners
2. Self build - A guide to building your own new build home
Your West Hampstead project >> Scenario Architecture
Working with Scenario Architecture on your West Hampstead project
Scenario Architecture is a boutique architecture studio focused on high-end residential projects across London. Through our bespoke architecture service we tackle domestic projects of every scale and complexity, from interior alterations and refurbishments to full renovations and new-builds.
Our friendly, highly skilled team can take you step-by-step through the challenge of designing your new space. We’ll collaborate closely with you from the initial drawings, detail design and planning through tender and construction to the successful completion of your project. On time and on budget.
Scenario Architecture is a RIBA Chartered Practice. We comply with the criteria of the Royal Institute of Chartered Architects, covering insurance, health and safety and quality-management systems.
Early adopters of the latest technology, we use 3D design and visualisation tools as a standard for all projects. Our experience shows that real-time visualisations and virtual reality are extremely efficient tools for choosing finishes, fixtures and fittings, and simulating natural light.
We also use 3D building information modelling (BIM) technology to produce reliable construction information, so all our project data comes from an accurate, coordinated 3D model. Using this cutting-edge technology collaboratively with consultants and contractors is proven to save our clients time and money.
A Chartered Institute of Building case study featuring a project by Scenario demonstrates the great benefits of this advanced technology for domestic architecture.
In our clients words
Great ideas and vision to help with our substantial improvement of a Victorian terrace. In our experience Scenario’s method prioritises the final result. That may mean more professional fees or higher quotes from contractors, as they understand the exact requirements.
Great, professional service. Good drawings and models and ultimately passed planning at the first attempt with Hackney Council. Would certainly recommend!
Scenario Architecture have created an outstanding design and space that was beyond my expectations. The design was through their unique process of understanding the client’s daily scenarios and collaborating with the client to come up with a unique design. The design process is one of the most memorable parts of the process and they also stretched my existing ideas to help create this unique space. A stress free journey throughout the whole process which Scenario were indispensable by giving advice on many difficult design and build decisions.
We wanted to renovate our house in a conservation area in central London. Given this involved a complete demolition and new build with an extra floor on top, getting planning approval was always going to be tricky. Scenario did an amazing job on the new house ‘envelope’ and throughout the planning phase. We couldn’t have wished for better from them and having succeeded in gaining planning approval owe them a very big ‘thank you’.
Scenario were great at thinking imaginatively and coming up with a design for a ground floor extension that was more ambitous than other architects we spoke to. They also helped us find a contractor who was able to complete the project working within timescale and our tight budget. I would recommend for mid to large sized projects with sufficient budget to allow for full utilisation of their creativity.
architects west hampstead > west hampstead local authority > camden council | architects west hampstead > west hampstead planning policies and guides > camden planning policies & guides | architects west hampstead > west hampstead conservation areas > camden conservation areas | architects west hampstead > west hampstead listed buildings > camden listed buildings | architects west hampstead > west hampstead tree preservation > camden tree preservation orders | architects west hampstead > west hampstead local list > camden local list | architects west hampstead > west hampstead building control > camden building control | architects west hampstead > west hampstead interactive map > camden interactive map | architects west hampstead > west hampstead planning search > camden planning search
- Scenario based design – We start each and every project with a meticulous analysis of our client’s vision, requirements and aspirations. We do this by asking our clients to imagine their everyday scenarios living in the completed house and describe their desired interaction with it.
- Uniquely interactive - Our client’s deep involvement in the process does not stop with completion of the brief. Our design meetings are highly interactive, informal and fun.
- Designed to reflect you – Based purely on your lifestyle, aspirations and requirements and free from externally imposed concepts, metaphors and pre-conceptions, a completely fresh and unique design will gradually emerge and it will tell your story not ours.
- Collaborative – We start the conversation with planners early and advise most of our clients to seek pre-planning advice prior to submission of a full planning application. Our experience shows that when properly consulted and liaised with, most planning case officers will be receptive to conduct a professional dialogue, increasing chances of successes.
- Strategic – We tailor a custom planning strategy for each project based on its circumstances such as planning history, local context and specific challenging elements. We sometimes split applications or introduce minor tweaks to the scheme during the consideration period in conversation with the officers to prevent one contentious element from jeopardising approval of the main scheme.
- Professional – Our experience shows that the quality and clarity of the submission in terms of background research, planning history of the property and context, precedent and of course the arguments presented to support the case has a tremendous effect on success rate.
- The decision period clock only starts ticking once the application is validated by the Council, This requires then to check that the forms are completed correctly and that the submission contains all the necessary drawings, statements and reports.
- Although required by law to provide a decision within the statutory eight weeks period, it is not uncommon for councils to miss the deadline of the consideration period, normally only by a few days, sometimes longer.
- In some cases the council may ask us as your agent for an extension of time, this may be requested due to internal reasons or as an acceptable result of a professional discussion that we are conducting with them about certain aspects of the application that they are not sure about.
- Our experience shows that planning officers respond better to projects when they feel consulted and collaborated with. We find that when we truly listen to their often helpful and valid feedback and treat them as consultants for the projects and not representative of an evil enforcing authority, they tend to collaborate well with us and demonstrate increased flexibility.
- Although the council in theory have eight weeks to consider your application, in practice they are constantly overloaded. They will only look at your application in the last few days of the consideration period. If this is the first time that they come across a scheme that they were never consulted about, our chance to secure permission for you in a single attempt is significantly compromised.
- The standard practice is for the council to consider the full planning application as submitted and then issue a yes or no decision. Case officers are not required or even encouraged to enter a discussion with us or accept resubmission of minor changes to the proposed scheme during the consideration period.