With an extensive portfolio of completed residential projects throughout North London and North West London over more than a decade, Scenario Architecture sees the capital as home terrain. Our clients have helped propel us to North London architects of choice: changing North London’s architectural landscape house by house.
We established Scenario in 2007 with a vision to develop a uniquely collaborative method of architecture. We take a considered approach to our clients’ desires, placing their aspiration for a new, architect-designed home in high definition. The clients’ needs are the main focus of our design process.
A highly functional home is the result of a deep understanding and precise analysis of each client’s unique lifestyle – and that shows in our work. A Scenario house tells the story of the owners – not the architects.
Scenario House, our landmark project in Stoke Newington, London, was covered widely and shortlisted for several prestigious architecture awards – including the 2018 RIBA London Awards. It is proof our successful approach to domestic architecture projects.
Your North London project
Starting your North London / North West London project
If you’re considering hiring North London architects, we’re here to help, whether your project is a renovation, extension or new-build.
We’ve created a brief illustrated overview to help you understand each stage of the process for your home extension, renovation or new-build in North London or North West London.
Most architecture projects in London require planning permission from the local council. North London architects with a successful record securing planning permission on behalf of our clients, we can claim home advantage across the capital.
TipDiscover if your architect has had success steering planning applications through your local council. Visit the “planning applications” page of your council’s website and enter the architect’s name in the search criteria.
AdviceWe have created guides for homeowners to provide additional advice and help with your project. The following eBooks are currently available for you to download:
1. Planning in London and the home counties - A guide for homeowners
2. Self build - A guide to building your own new build home
Your North London project >> Scenario Architecture
Working with Scenario Architecture on your North London / North West London project
Scenario Architecture is a boutique architecture studio focused on high-end residential projects around London. We tackle domestic architecture of every scale and complexity, from interior refurbishments to full renovations and new-builds, through our bespoke architecture service.
Our friendly, highly skilled team can take you step-by-step through the challenge of designing your new space. We’ll all collaborate closely from the initial drawings, detail design and planning through tender and construction to the successful completion of your project. On time and on budget.
Scenario is a RIBA Chartered Practice. We comply with the strict criteria of the Royal Institute of Chartered Architects, covering insurance, health and safety and quality-management.
Early adopters of the latest technology, we use 3D design and visualisation tools as a standard on all projects. Our experience shows that real-time visualisations and virtual reality are extremely efficient for choosing finishes, fixtures and fittings, and simulating natural light.
We use 3D building information modelling (BIM) to produce reliable construction information, so all our data comes from an accurate, coordinated 3D model. Using this cutting-edge technology collaboratively with consultants and contractors is proven to save our clients time and money.
A Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB) case study featuring a Scenario project demonstrates the great benefits of this advanced technology for domestic architecture.
When you buy a property in North London you are buying into a long and illustrious history. Once a rural landscape dotted with farms, it attracted country folk and weekend visitors as well as religious and political rebels who didn’t fit into other London communities. Parts of Hampstead were known for their wells of fresh, medicinal water and encouraged many to relocate from neighbourhoods further south toward the City. Some of the ivied brick cottages you see across North London today appeared in the 18th century, for residents escaping the intensity of central London.
By the 19th century, veritable villages had emerged, with distinguished churches and public schools, and railways station that made the wealth of parkland accessible to all of London. People who lived here enjoyed superlative views down over the city, particularly from Highgate and either side of Parliament Hill. Even today, the landscape across much of the north retains its charming Georgian qualities, even with the addition of Victorian and Late Victorian housing stock.
Some neighbourhoods in North London are known to be more affordable than their West London counterparts. That feature, as well as the area’s association with dissidents, has attracted generations of artistic people to the north. Artists from John Constable to Barbara Hepworth, musicians from Dave Stewart to Amy Winehouse and authors from John Keats to John Betjeman to Zadie Smith have lived here for periods of their life. There are also extensive international and Jewish communities across the north. Lately, access to St Pancras Station, with its connection to Europe via the Eurostar, has become an asset to North London homeowners.
North London is one of the greenest corners of London, with access to extensive tracts of public land and opportunities to enjoy nature. If you have a dog, you’ll be spoiled for choice around the three “H”s: Hampstead, Highgate and Highbury. The further south you live, the more that parkland begins to taper off. Camden is well known as a neighbourhood for shopping and nightlife, spreading out from the Regent’s Canal. Ditto Islington and Stoke Newington. Though the latter have their share of working-class and immigrant communities, they are no less distinguished, culturally, than their greener counterparts, with well-regarded theatres and museums worked into the fabric.
Living in North London, you’re far enough from the centre to benefit from a village atmosphere with independent shops and neighbourhood restaurants. Yet many spots are well-connected by Tube, Overground and bus lines to Central London.
In our clients words
- Scenario based design – We start each and every project with a meticulous analysis of our client’s vision, requirements and aspirations. We do this by asking our clients to imagine their everyday scenarios living in the completed house and describe their desired interaction with it.
- Uniquely interactive - Our client’s deep involvement in the process does not stop with completion of the brief. Our design meetings are highly interactive, informal and fun.
- Designed to reflect you – Based purely on your lifestyle, aspirations and requirements and free from externally imposed concepts, metaphors and pre-conceptions, a completely fresh and unique design will gradually emerge and it will tell your story not ours.
- Collaborative – We start the conversation with planners early and advise most of our clients to seek pre-planning advice prior to submission of a full planning application. Our experience shows that when properly consulted and liaised with, most planning case officers will be receptive to conduct a professional dialogue, increasing chances of successes.
- Strategic – We tailor a custom planning strategy for each project based on its circumstances such as planning history, local context and specific challenging elements. We sometimes split applications or introduce minor tweaks to the scheme during the consideration period in conversation with the officers to prevent one contentious element from jeopardising approval of the main scheme.
- Professional – Our experience shows that the quality and clarity of the submission in terms of background research, planning history of the property and context, precedent and of course the arguments presented to support the case has a tremendous effect on success rate.